The best advice we can give you is to find a florist you feel comfortable with! Each florist will differ in several ways, from the way they communicate to the type of weddings they take on. Each florist has a specific style and design technique. Your style may not match up with some florists—and that is ok!
Make sure your ideas about planning your wedding flowers match up with the florist. Go with your gut instinct. If you do not feel comfortable with the florist in the initial consultation—then don’t take a chance working with them. It is ok to meet with several florists before making your decision. Just because you do an initial consultation does not mean you have to use them for your flowers.
Some questions to consider while meeting about your wedding flowers:
- If they have a shop: Do you like the way the shop is arranged? Do you like the arrangements you see in the cooler? Is the shop clean and do the floral materials look like they are in good condition?
- Does the florist have knowledge of plant materials and floral care?
- How much experience does the florist have? Are they able to make suggestions to you as you talk about your arrangements?
- Is your wedding going to be the only wedding they book on the day you are getting married?
- Does their style fit your style? Look at the clothes they are wearing or how they carry themselves. Websites/blogs are even good indicators of style!
- Are you comfortable with their meeting and communication policies/procedures? Do you want someone you can email or do you need to have face-to-face conversations.
- Do you feel comfortable talking to them and communicating your ideas? Do they accept your ideas and thoughts? A florist should offer helpful advice, not push you in a direction you don’t want to go.
Your wedding flowers should be created the way you want them! Don’t settle with using somebody you don’t feel completely comfortable with! Flowers are an important part of your wedding and you don’t want to have any glitches along the way.
Kim Martin — Floral Design Specialist — Columbia, MO